Sunday, August 21, 2011

Out with the Old...

Kelly and I decided to finally finish our remodel...ourself! We thought we could do it faster, better and cheaper than anyone we hired. We were right for the most part but we were miserable for about 18 days. That is right - it took 18 days to finish two rooms but some touch ups. Maybe it was the heat or the fact that I am not qualified to do anything but be a tool runner or vacuumer so Kelly was pretty much on his own so those 18 days were loooooong ones.
We had to tape off all our doors going to our closets and bathrooms which meant I had to get everything out that I needed. I pretty much wore the same things every day. Kelly is one lucky man! The dining room became our closet, garage, and holding tank of everything from our bedroom and office.
Kelly said he will never ever do a remodel again! I agree whole heartedly. It was awful.
Our bedroom before the remodel. White walls, white molding, white doors, and white carpet. Not very exciting!
We had to take off the doors to get our furniture out of the room.
We turned the living room into our bedroom for the 18 days. It was nice being so close to the kitchen! Those late night Kool-Aid runs just got a whole lot easier.
Handyman Kelly scraped off all the ceilings. We had to kill the AC so the dust wouldn't get sucked up so Kelly had a nice sweaty afternoon of scraping.
Our neighbors got an eyeful as we kept all of our trash, scraps and carpet on our driveway for about a week. They are probably excited to get us out of the neighborhood!
We also decided to tackle the caulk around the front of the house. I scraped out all the old caulk off the porch and around garage door and Kelly came back to fill in the holes. We make a great team!
He may be smiling for the picture but inside he is probably dying. We did all of this in the middle of the afternoon in the blazing hot Texas sun. We both didn't have on our happy faces alot of the time but we did make it through. What a first year for us!
Poor guy even came home from work and worked even longer on the house. We saw 3am and 4am way too much during this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment