Saturday, June 23, 2012

Calling the hogs!



 Kelly and I made a pact that for every anniversary we would stay in a different B&B. So this year, I was given the choice of a few B&B's in Texas and Arkansas and I chose Arkansas. I had only been to Texarkana and was dying to see this pretty state. Most of you know that I am very type A and plan out everything but for this trip, we hit the road and didn't even make a room reservation! So unlike me but I went with it and boy, did I make the right choice. We orginally planned on staying at this top rated B&B but when we got there, it didn't feel right. So I googled a place and found our Inn. It. Was. Perfect. Right on the shores of Lake Hamilton and every room faced the lake. I was in love.

Welcome to my Arkansas....


They had a great visitor center. I picked up all sorts of brochures.
Our ride for the week. This is the perfect vehicle for driving through the Ozarks.
Kelly and I made this wine and the label on our very first trip together (Fredericksburg, January 2008). We decided it was time to enjoy it. Worth the wait!


This area in Arkansas is called the Diamond Lake Region. We stayed on one of the five lakes - Lake Hamilton. Gorgeous! Lots of islands and clear water.
Who knew Hot Springs was also famous for baseball!


Kelly and I went to a "zoo" where we were lucky enough to hold an alligator.


It took me 8 minutes to get up enough courage to hold this thing. I was dripping with sweat nervous. He was a squishy little thing.
Sorry about the turned photo - I can't get it right side up!



Fat Bottomed Girls Bakery -  better than Sprinkles!
Hot Springs National Forest
I just had to try the spring water. Kelly was too scared of getting sick but not me. It tasted pretty good but I will stick with Ozarka.
My first duck tour. It broke down right before we got in the water but got a different duck to finish the tour. Good times!
Thanks Pintrest for this idea...
Year One - Alaska
Year Two - Arkansas

Kelly's grandfather is buried south of Eureka Springs. He had never visited his grave and since we were in the area, we decided to make the trip. It was such a beautiful cemetary on top of a hill.
I was more emotional than Kelly and I never knew him!
We went to Thorncrown Chapel. You must go! Breathtaking!
Thorncrown Chapel
Eureka!!!
Arsenic and Old Lace. The name doesn't do it justice. It was such a lovely B&B!
After our stay in Eureka Springs, I wanted to go to Bentenville - Home of Walmart. The Walton Family donated this fabulous (and free) museum.



Sam Walton's first store. He sounds like a wonderful man - no wonder I love me some Walmart!
Calling the Hogs!
On our way home, we went through Oklahoma and over all the lakes getting back into Texas. It was so pretty to see the lakes at sunset.

Happy 2 years to us!

1 comment: