Saturday, October 15, 2011

Comerica Park

I really didn't know what to expect when we were driving the 5 minutes from our hotel to the park. I heard it was scary, that some guy was brutally beaten just trying to deliver something there, and more. So my anxiety level was just a tad high on our drive - the acne on my face says it all. That was until we got to Comerica. The surrounding restaurants and bars were all lit up just screaming for people to come in. Huge (fake) tigers and oversize baseball bats were at the entrance of the park welcoming the fans. People were everywhere. This wasn't scary at all! Actually, it was really nice!

 From the moment we stepped into the park, we were treated so nice. Ushers went out of their way for us. Fans welcomed us. They were encouraging us to go around town, eat at certain places and just wanted us to enjoy Detroit. You can tell they have been hit hard by the economy and want people to see Detroit how they see it and not how the rest of the country portrays it. Now this doesn't mean that I actually did what they said. I ventured out one day to the deli on the corner and was so scared when I entered that I immediately left and ran back to the safety of my hotel but I do appreciate people that love their city. (hello waco!!!)  The people we met are truly great ambassadors for Detroit.

While we might not have had the outcome we wanted, we had a great time at Comerica. They have a ferris wheel and a merry go round at the park. Both were so pretty but I only got a pic of the merry go round. Aretha Franklin sang the anthem during game 3 and the Four Tops for game 5. It was so cool! The games were super intense for us Rangers...note the nice close up of myself and some coworkers during the game where we were focused, not smiling, and intense. (those would be just some of the comments I received via text after we were shown on tv).

All in all, Detroit was an experience and I am blessed to have made the trip. Go Rangers!

No comments:

Post a Comment