Thursday, August 23, 2012

In the keys...

Kelly and I have a HUGE list of places that we want to travel to. So anytime we get a chance, we try to take advantage of our time off and hit the road. Our trip this year took us to Key West. Total opposite of where we went last year - Alaska. We have been to the total opposite parts of the US in the past year...kinda crazy!
 
Such a cute airport!

The Marquesa - our hotel. It was perfect! We stayed on the 3rd floor and loved it. This photo is from the inside courtyard looking up. The courtyard had 2 great pools - we swam everyday as it was so hot!
Who's thirsty???

We had our first dinner at Cafe Marquesa. It was so good!We had good dinners every night and it was hard to pick a favorite.
 
Day 2 - we took a jet ski around all of Key West plus an island just next to it. It took 2 hours and we went through the calf Gulf and the super choppy Atlantic. It was really fun!
This was my first time on a jet ski since the infamous near death experience with Blake 15 years ago.
Pretty self explanatory!
The 3rd day, we got up early so we could do a snorkel trip to a couple of cool reef spots.
We know we look dorky. They made us wear the life jackets.
Just call me eagle eyes. I was the first to spot the dolphins! Pretty sure I thought they might be sharks at first.
We toured Ernest Hemingways home. He was famous for having six toed cats...Kinda creeped me out!
We tried 4 different kind of key lime pies. Our favorite was at Blue Heaven. YUM
Our last excursion was to the Dry Tortugas National Park. We took a one and half hour boat ride out to this place. Totally worth the LONG trip. It was gorgeous!

 
Forgive the face...I just really like view.
(It was really bright.)

We found lots of conch shells.

It was so fun diving down to find shells.
 
Of course I had to put in a foot picture!
We got to rent a scooter. Kelly wanted a cool one - I wasn't too sure about it so we comprimised and settled on a Key West Kruiser. It was so fun! I only drove it on the shoulder of the road. I did not trust my skills on the main highway.


My driver...he was way better than me.

It was a great trip!!!

2 comments: