Thursday, March 12, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Distance sure does make the heart grow fonder. I have been in AZ for a month and Kelly has been here 6 weeks. That is a long of time away from Texas. It is definately making us appreciate all of the little things we take for granted such as:


  1. Sweet Tea - NOBODY serves it around here except for Chick-fil-A. Thank goodness for them. Even BBQ places don't serve it! Don't they know that BBQ and Sweet Tea is a powerful combination. My sweet mom felt sorry for us and made us sweet tea so we could have some in the apartment. So nice and so needed!

  2. Taca Casa - If you haven't been to this fast food mexican joint, go right now. It is so good. One night, we were sitting in the hot tub and I got really quiet. Kelly asked what I was thinking about. I replied "Taco Casa". I don't often day dream about food but we had just gotten done working out and were relaxing in the hot tub...dinner was definately on my mind! He laughed and said we would be hitting that up as soon as we get home. This place also serves sweet tea.

  3. Texas Cops - Arizona is in a financial crisis and in order to try to raise money, they have installed electronic radars all along their highways. You can't go 200 yards without seeing a radar gun pointed at your car or a decoy vehicle in a ditch radaring cars. It is super annoying to have to put on the brakes all the time. You will get busted for going 3 miles an hour over the posted speed limit. So if you think cops in Texas are bad, please visit this state. It will make you appreciate our cops and their lack of policing (compared to AZ) so much more. Having said this, I did receive my first ticket in 10 years so I am a little bitter towards the law enforcement out here. I was going 46 in a 25 so yes, I did deserve it but in my defense, I was lost and not paying attention.

  4. Water - You are probably thinking that I am crazy for mentioning this but Arizona's water is hard and will dry out your skin and hair super fast. I have even had to switch to a moisturizing shampoo b/c my normally oily hair is getting dry. Kelly is having to super glue his finger tips b/c they are making deep, painful cracks. Lotion is your best friend out here.

  5. Tex-Mex - Arizona does have good mexican food but it is influenced by California and New Mexico. Black beans, green chilies, and rice with mixed vegetables are the norm. Give us some refriend beans and greasy cheese enchiladas and we will be happy. We haven't actually had a bad experience yet but we are still missing tex-mex. Nobody makes mexican food like Texans. You can find us at Joe T's when we get home.

These are just a few of the things we are missing from back home. Of course #1 on our list is our family and friends but that is a given. It is hard being away from everyone for so long. Thanks to my mom who came out last week and our friends Lacy and Ashley who arrive today. Hopefully more people next year will come visit us. We will be home in 17 days...get excited!


2 comments:

  1. Yummy...I love me some Taco Casa! The only one I know of is in Waxahachie. We miss you guys here in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Joe Ts when you get back!! Seriously we're going for my Bday! Get ready!

    ReplyDelete